Be so beautiful on the inside it reflects on your outside. This saying comes to our mind when we think of Mary Outram; owner of maryoutram.com an online platform of curated fashion goodness. The true socialite and girlboss of Christchurch, we just love keeping up with Mary and everything she has got going on. Not only does she run her own designer rental site from her home ‘Borrowed By Mary‘, but she also runs and manages her own PR company Monday PR as well.
Read about this one millennial paving a life for herself.
Where do you live and how old are you?
I am twenty five (eeek but I don’t really feel like I am and I really don’t want to get older haha I feel like this is the best age).
I was born and also live in Christchurch although I grew up and did all of my schooling in Nelson. Christchurch is definitely home for me. I’ve moved away a few times over the years, London, Sydney, Queenstown but I always come back and I really do love it here and love the people.
What does a normal day in the life of Mary look like?
My days are always so different and that’s why I love my job. I work part time on my site and then I run my own small company ‘Monday PR’. My hours are split really evenly between all my work but I chop and change what I’m doing and for who all the time depending on meetings, appointments and what I might have on. Ok, so maybe I will just take you through what an average day may look like:
- 6.30am – Gym
- 8am – First Coffee (Addicted, send help)
- 9am – I am usually still in my active wear still and begin working from my home office responding to emails and listing what I need to get done for the day.
- 10.30am – Walk around the park by my house (My brain never functions in the morning and I often don’t do a lot of work until the afternoons or late into the evening + I like to workout in mornings). Almost all my friends don’t work a 9-5pm job so I often walk with someone and we get coffee at our local cafe (This will then be coffee number 2 for the day).
- 12pm – By midday I am usually dressed out of activewear and ready for the day. I spend the afternoons at any meetings I may have with clients or potential new clients and then back at my computer working away. A lot of my work time is spent online, looking at fashion sites, at what’s trending, what’s new etc and then of course a lot of time on social media. The work I do for Monday PR is a lot of social media, but it also sees me freelance in other random jobs, events, promotion planning, poster design, photography. So not only do I run my own Instagram pages and Facebook, but I work on them for other people also.
- 2pm – If I have any orders or rentals to get out I do a post shop and coffee run to get some fresh air out of the house (We are now at coffee number 3, I am bouncing).
- By 6pm I usually am still working, some days I have lovely ladies over to my house for a Borrowed By Mary fitting.
- 7pm – I might catch up with a friend for dinner or go to the gym (if I haven’t been in the morning) or ill work late if I haven’t done enough.
P.S. Coffee addict… so I am cutting back and don’t always have three haha.
What made you start working for yourself?
Lifestyle, I don’t make a lot of money but I love my freedom. I have to remember how lucky I am to have this freedom at this stage in my life to be able to do everything I am doing. I also wanted to feel proud about something that was just my own but that I could still share with people. My Blog/Shop/Site is something I love doing and I love that its just me and I can put whatever I do or don’t want on it based on my own thoughts and opinions… I call it my baby.
Who is your biggest inspiration?
Honestly my Mum… is that cliche? I would not be able to achieve anything I have without the support I’ve had from her always. Not only did she let me move back home into her house (which if you have ever visited me for a Borrowed By Mary fitting you will know is small) but I have taken it over with everything I own and I use spaces all over the house even Mums room for storage. I have clothing racks, clothing horses for cleaning, irons, a steamer, my backdrop stand… the list goes on. My Mum is so supportive and inspirational for me and she has seriously never doubted me and always pushed me not to settle for anything less than average.
Quote to live by?
To live with no regrets, cheesy? meh I don’t care I love it and I even have it tattooed on my body and so does one of my besties Emily. No regrets.
1 thing no one knows about you?
A lot of people don’t know what my tattoo means/ have never seen it… I posted my first bikini pics on my feed last year and that was probably the first time I’ve shown it to anyone (even my Mum) even though I’ve had it since I was 19.
What advice would you give your younger self?
Look after yourself and your body! So I spent my late teenage years and first few years out of school a bit overweight and really unhealthy and unhappy. I didn’t really know much at all about looking after your body or staying healthy as part of my lifestyle but it makes such a difference to how you feel when you look after your body. You only get to live once, live with no regrets and be the best version of yourself you can be which means loving yourself and your body and looking after it.
Have you had any road block or failures? If so how did you overcome them?
Oh god, all the time. I was once told that if I had to go out and get 100 No’s to something I wanted before I got that one Yes then what would I do? I would go and get those 100 No’s wouldn’t I. So you just keep going, find a way to see past whatever is standing in the way. My friends and family are also amazing at helping me stay positive and reminding me what I am capable of if anything doesn’t feel like its going right and I always like to look at the glass half full instead of half empty.
Recent Girlboss moments?
I recently released some t-shirts designs/ prints I worked on to sell in my SHOP, I have never thought in my wildest dreams I would make something people would love and want to buy. (I am not a good sewer and didn’t actually make the t-shirts myself or anything) but it’s a pretty rewarding and fuzzy feeling having people support you like that.
Hands down Popcorn! I literally have popcorn all the time and pop it myself – so satisfying to make! If anyone needs a lesson in how to make, honestly message me I have a trick to it and it never burns, well except for the one time I forgot about it and completely smoked out my house oops… but besides that one time (if you follow me you may have seen on Insta story) its always perrrfecttt!
You can visit Mary here. Borrow clothes for your next event here. Or buy amazing statement tees and other must have items here.